Yesterday’s course on Electric Printmaking was not as I had expected. What was billed as ‘not for the faint hearted’ and promising ‘scope to play with electric engravers, drills and routers’ to produce ‘brash and gutsy’ images turned out to be drypoint using an engraver instead of a hand needle – something your granny could do.
I’d decided to insist on using the router on wood and arrived with large pieces I’d found on a dump near the studio. I was told, rightly, they would not be suitable as they were wet. However, I was allowed to use the router under constant supervision by the tutor. This meant that while I was using it no-one else had any tutorial help. I drew a design based on some leaves I’d collected on the way this morning. Here is the drawn and routed 2mm plywood I used:
and here is my third print from the block, by which time the black, which had started as a pale grey, had darkened to a charcoal grey.
This is somewhere along the road to the course I’d signed up for, but only a few steps along it.
I inked up and printed my Electric Sheep (as dreamt by androids) (I was going to insert a hyperlink here to explain the reference, but for some reason WordPress won’t let me do so tonight) both as the original two-colour (which I don’t like) and as a single colour (better).
I didn’t bother inking up my thin aluminium plate.
And so an unsatisfactory weekend draws to a close. (Yes OK, Rosie, I know there was a lot of Dr Who stuff on, but you know what I mean!)