Having had a go at one of Degas’s pastels of a ballet dancer last week, this week we had a go at a Manet pastel portrait at our pastel class this week. I don’t think this had anything to do the Royal Academy exhibition which opened today. Pure coincidence! (You’ll have to wait about a month for my review of the show.)
At least this week the cardboard we used was a similar colour to Manet’s substrate so I didn’t have the same problem as with the Degas. One of the main problems I had was matching the basic skin tone. I used yellow shaded with orange, red and white as I didn’t have a ‘flesh’ coloured pink pastel.
I knew there was something basically wrong with my version and eventually I realised that I had made the left side of his face (i.e. his right cheek) too fat which made his face less turned than it should be.
One thing I found a bit frustrating was that most of the lesson was spent doing solid areas, such as the face. Only a relatively short time was spent on the ‘fun’ bit of the feathering and other free, expressive marks, which I particularly enjoy. Anyway, here’s my version. The finished piece is on A3 card so I lost quite a bit of the edges, particularly the bottom, on my A4 scanner.